There are many ways that you, your congregation, faith community or civic group can assist us in welcoming refugee families to our community. We will work with you to match your gifts and talents with the needs of our program and the families we serve.
Ways To Help
- Sponsoring a family is one of the most rewarding ways to help refugees! Spend four months helping a family adjust to their new life. To find out more, see Sponsorship Responsibilities.
- Donate new or gently used furniture and household items. Each refugee family is settled in an apartment furnished almost entirely with donations. See our complete list of donations.
- Welcome refugees by providing a housewarming kit with either personal care items or household cleaning items. Also backpacks and school supplies. These are great projects for children and youth groups.
- Buy groceries to stock an apartment before a family arrives. This usually involves shopping at Aldis and one ethnic grocery store.
- Purchase winter holiday gifts for children.
- Make a financial donation to assist the program in providing for refugee emergencies.
More Ways to Help: Current Volunteer Opportunities
Individuals and groups can volunteer in a variety of ways. Some of our current volunteer opportunities are as follows:
- Caseworker Aide: Assist caseworkers with preparing apartments and shopping for newly arrived families.
- Transportation Aide: take a family to appointments or shopping trips
- Office work: data entry, filing and other tasks around the office
- Donations sorting and organizing
- Cultural Training and Orientation: help refugee families to understand how to live in apartments in Syracuse and how to find their way around
- Recreation: take a family to the park!