What we ask of all sponsors:
- Choose a liaison to work directly with the Refugee Program and to keep all members of your congregation or group informed.
- With staff and interpreter, meet the family at the airport.
- Provide their first hot meal.
- Provide household furnishings (as you are able)
- Keep in weekly contact with the case manager, for three months and every two weeks for the following month.
- Meet with the family once a week for the first three months of resettlement, and then at least twice a week for the next month.
- Have a “closing” with the family at the end of four months.
If sponsors can, we also ask for help with:
- Food for the first 30 days.
- Clothing for the family, especially outerwear, shoes and new socks and underwear.
- Assistance teaching things like using the kitchen, grocery shopping, American cleaning.
- Ideas for possible employment.
- Transportation to appointments.
What to do while waiting for the family to arrive:
- If you are a congregation reflects and pray on your decision to sponsor.
- Educate your congregation or group about the political circumstances, history and culture of the families you are hoping to assist.
- Start gathering household goods.
- Decide which of the above tasks your group or congregation will be responsible for and choose how and who will coordinate the work to be done.
- When there is an arrival date, finalize the sponsorship agreement, signing the appropriate forms with the InterFaith Works office.